Football boycott

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by churtonred, Nov 7, 2018 at 8:51 PM.

1. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Following on from fitzytyke's thread about going to Wembley....
    If a campaign was mounted to right some of the wrongs in the English game, the uneven playing field, craven and inept FA and Football League, obscene wages etc...
    Would you be prepared to boycott going to watch football until the powers that be were brought to their knees?
    I'm not interested in responses like, well my not going wouldn't make any difference. If you knew the strategy would work would you sacrifice going to Oakwell for a period of, say, months?

2. SuperTyke

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think so in general because I feel that it would be hurting Barnsley fc as much if not more than it would hurt the authorities.

Happily boycott any games like last night's though because I think the poor attendance figures hits the EFL more than it does the club.

3. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

In the case of the checkatrade Boycott the games v the Premier league seems reasonable, but better still would be for the fans of league one and two clubs to start a petition and see how that goes.

In general though. I'm not so sure. As ST says, I wouldn't want to do anything that affected BFC.

I'm actually thinking of getting one started to highlight the shortcomings of many clubs when it comes to looking after blind supporters, but of course that's a different matter.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 12:58 PM
    Rosco likes this.
  4. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What makes you think that bringing 'the powers that be to their knees' would help football or fans? It would probably have the opposite effect .

Conan Troutman likes this.
  5. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure I would tbh although I wouldn’t cross a picket line .
    The powers that be are so greedy if they were forced to abandon a certain plan would bring in something equally as bad imo .
    The best way is to Lobby parliament but football is so divisive as it is unifying on certain things .
    We are supposed to have a supporters group representing us who I seem to hear hardly anything about .
    The only meaningful representation comes from the big clubs in Europe and the only thing that bypasses their influence is the big money from qatar etc.

6. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think...in fact I don't think I know that the Football League has failed its clubs and fans for generations in allowing corrupt ownership of clubs, lax stances on Health and Safety, running scared of the big clubs, protecting big clubs' interests.
    I'm just reading a book by David Conn listing a catalogue of failings, a shocking situation where the rich get richer and the poor are allowed to suffer. It was written in 2004. Since then things have become worse.
    We're paying upwards of £25 for non season ticket holders to watch out team play third division football.
    Time after time our interests and those of grass roots football are sold down the river by the FA and the Football League. I won't even bother to mention the Premier League. They're well beyond redemption.
    If "bringing them to their knees" helps address the abuses and imbalances bring it on.
    Alternatively sit on the sidelines and let things continue. Wait for the Premier B teams to appear in our leagues. The restrictions on promotion and relegation start to creep in.
    I wouldn't worry though because there's absolutely no chance of anyone ever making a stand.