ThE STAR

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by barnsleyone, Jan 2, 2007.

1. bar

barnsleyone Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    New Reds boss the top choice
    SIMON Davey was unanimously Barnsley's first choice to become permanent manager and the board decided to hand him the post BEFORE the derby defeat by Sheffield Wednesday.
    "No-one else was offered the job, I can absolutely guarantee, 100 per cent that is true," chairman Gordon Shepherd said.
    He added: "Because of confidentiality we can't discuss any of the applicants at all.
    "We looked at what Simon has done and when we did that we saw he had 1.57 points per game in seven games. That is almost promotion form. It wasn't just that it was the way he tackled the whole job.
    "He got the players onside, his training programmes were excellent, his assessment of the opposition was good. His whole application - without formally applying for the job - was first class.
    "We decided on Friday before the Sheffield Wednesday game, although we didn't tell him until Sunday morning."
    Davey and Shepherd are due to sit down this week to work out a contract for the new manager. "Terms have to be discussed this week, but I believe it will run beyond the end of the season. Of course we have to consider Simon's wishes as well," Shepherd explained.
    Yesterday's 2-0 defeat saw Barnsley dip into the relegation zone and the club are hoping to sign at least two new players this week before the FA Cup tie at Southend of Saturday.
    Barnsley have tabled a £200,000 bid for Rotherham United's Lee Williamson.
    There could be as many as three new players at Oakwell this week.
    "One of the players we're after, sadly, is cup-tied. One or two others aren't so they could be in for the game," Shepherd continued.
    Barnsley's bank balance has been boosted by the sale of Michael McIndoe to Wolves. His price is reckoned to be in the region of £250,000.
    Barnsley skipper Paul Reid limped out of yesterday's game at Wolves with a severely bruised shin.
    02 January 2007

2. Gue

Guest Guest

"Terms have to be discussed this week, but I believe it will run beyond the end of the season. Of course we have to consider Simon's wishes as well,"

Aye, till end of June I reckon. Poor SD, give opportunity of a lifetime and would probably take the job under any circumstances.

3. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "He got the players onside"

What, even Nardiello? Nobody could manage that.

Elsewhere, Shepherd states that Davey produced a report on every Barnsley player detailing their strengths and weaknesses. I recon every Barnsley supporter could have done that so look out for 5,000 applications in May when Davey gets sacked for taking us down. The guy is totally naive if he thinks that the game is all about writting reports and useless statistics about points per game, regardless of opposition.

4. AIR

AIRTyke New Member

Home Page:
    Jeeez

Now we're slagging him off for trying to do some homework on players? Surely its a good thing he's doing that as opposed to not doing that? Give the bloke a chance.

5. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not slagging Davey off. I'm slagging off the guy who told us he was getting rid of Ritchie so that he could appoint somebady who had more experience.

6. driver

driver New Member

Home Page: